Check Out the Rules
It may seem obvious, but it’s important to review your fitness center’s rules, so you’re aware of any location-specific guidelines. Check for specifics regarding dress code, conduct, maximum capacity and phone use.
Ardent Communities guidelines:
- The use of fitness centers is reserved for residents only.
- An adult must accompany children under the age of 16.
- No food, alcohol, glass containers, smoking or horseplay is permitted.
- No bathing suits, wet clothing or bare feet.
- Fitness centers are to be used for working out, no loitering.
Avoid Making Calls
Speaking of cell phones, it’s good manners to save phone conversations for the lobby or outside the fitness center. Wear headphones if you must take a call in the fitness center but be mindful of the people around you. Gyms are usually noisy places, and loud phone conversations can be even more disruptive.
It’s also a good idea to wear headphones if you’re listening to music, podcasts or streaming shows. Other gym-goers may not appreciate blaring music while they’re concentrating on their workout.
Give People Space
Leaving room between yourself and others is important for everyone’s health and safety. Be aware of your surroundings and give people space to lift weights and complete their reps. You don’t want to get hit by moving fitness equipment or dumbbells.
Don’t leave your belongings out. Keep water bottles, towels and other items near you to allow others plenty of space so you don’t create tripping hazards.
Take Care of Equipment
Maintaining facility equipment improves its longevity. Here are some tips for caring for fitness center equipment:
- Wipe down machines and weights with disinfectant spray after each use.
- Clean up all personal items after you’re done using the equipment.
- Wipe up spills and sweat to avoid slipping hazards.
- Don’t slam or drop weights, so you don’t damage the equipment.
Practice Good Hygiene
Sweat and odors accumulate quickly during your workout, and it’s important to be aware of your hygiene for yourself and others. Fitness centers may expose you to more germs, so showering after your workout will wash away bacteria.
At Ardent Communities, we strive to maintain our fitness centers so our residents have convenient access to exercise equipment. Connect with us online or call 614-253-7368 for more information.