#1: Plan Ahead
Don’t wait until a few days before your friends or family arrive to start cleaning. Tackle major maintenance tasks a few weeks before hosting. Save simpler apartment organization and decorating for a few days prior to your guest’s arrival. That way you can complete your chores without having to rush or stress.
#2: Clean Your Space
Decluttering your apartment should be the first item on your to-do list. Put away laundry, clear dishes from the sink, sort through mail and remove any clothes, shoes or furniture from walkways.
You may have grown accustomed to the smells of your apartment, so dust, vacuum and deodorize your space.
- Washing linens, bedding, blankets and curtains
- Deodorizing upholstery
- Taking out the trash
- Cleaning pet bedding and litterboxes
#3: Prepare Your Guestroom
Make your family or friends feel at home by creating a cozy guest area. Remove unnecessary items that eating up space in your spare room.
Put fresh sheets, pillows and blankets on the guest bed and add a few drops of essential oils or a laundry sheet for a fresh scent. Stock a nightstand with tissues and other nighttime necessities.
Empty a few dresser drawers or closet shelves for your guest’s personal effects, so they don’t have to live out of their luggage.
#4: Clean Your Bathroom
You don’t need to have a claw-foot tub to make your bathroom feel like a spa. Give the shower, tub, toilet and sink a good scrub to eliminate grime and odor. Wrap a plastic bag filled with vinegar around your showerhead and let it soak to remove calcium buildup and improve water pressure. Fill a welcome basket with travel-size essentials such as toothpaste, soap, shampoo and conditioner.
#5: Organize Your Kitchen
You’ll need space in your kitchen whether you’re cooking or storing leftovers. Get rid of expired foods and drinks in your fridge, freezer and pantry. Wipe down your fridge so you have a sanitized space for groceries.
Check that all your appliances work, including your microwave, toaster, coffee maker and blender. Degrease your oven and stovetop so your guests have a clean space to make food.
Set up a welcome basket with your visitor’s favorite snacks but ask if they have any food allergies before you buy anything. Hosting guests during the holidays is also a good time to try recipes for winter cocktails and mocktails.
#6: Stock Up on Essentials
It may be difficult to get certain necessities during the holidays Here are some everyday items to have for your visitors:
- Over-the-counter medication, like ibuprofen and acetaminophen
- Toilet paper
- Paper towels
- Laundry soap
- Feminine products
- Phone and electronic chargers
#7 Create a Festive Living Space
There are lots of different ways to decorate your apartment for the holidays. Add simple garlands and table runners or deck out a Christmas tree with tinsel and ornaments. Stringing lights inside your apartment or on your patio or balcony is an easy way to create a festive atmosphere. Candles add a cozy glow and potpourri will fill your home with seasonal scents to welcome your guests.
Prepping Your Apartment if You’re Traveling
Here are some tips to remember if you’re not at your apartment during the holidays:
- Tell your property manager how long you’ll be gone in case they need to check on your apartment.
- Put a hold on your mail or ask your neighbors to collect any packages while you’re out.
- Turn your thermostat to a low setting but leave it warm enough that it will be comfortable when you return.
- Schedule or prepay your rent and utility bills before you depart.
- Leave a slow drip in your faucets, and open cabinets under the sink to allow warm air to circulate the pipes.
- Unplug appliances to avoid wasting energy.
- Take out the trash.
- If you have a house sitter or pet sitter, tell them of the rules of your apartment community and provide your property manager’s contact information.
Host Your Holiday Gathering at Your Ardent Communities’ Home
Ardent Communities rents apartments, townhouses and homes of various sizes around Columbus, Ohio, so you can entertain your family and friends during the holidays. Contact us to schedule a tour of one of our apartments.